How to Remove the Toxic Mold Correctly

Posted on 31 January 2011


Mold spores are always present in the air and when these spores come in contact with moisture it causes the spores to attach to the moisture which spreads rapidly. Moisture can occur for many reasons such as a leaky roof, flooding, leaking pipes, blocked gutters, unvented dryers, water spills, and condensation.

Mold not only causes serious damage to your home, it can create an unhealthy environment which leads to allergic reactions and irritants known to cause serious illnesses. People with asthma and other breathing problems are at risk for increased episodes along with irritation of the eyes, throat and nose. Long term exposure to certain mold toxins can be life-threatening due to cancer-causing agents.

The first signs that you may have a mold problem are usually mildew or moldy odor and chronic respiratory problems, and unfortunately once these symptoms appear it usually means the mold has spread in large areas of the home.

The first step is to fix the moisture problem; failure to do this will result in the re-occurrence of mold. You should use extreme caution when removing mold from your home. Mold spores will get into the air during the removal process and breathing them in while using cleaning solutions can be caustic. Use plastic gloves, masks to cover face and nose, and safety goggles while cleaning.

Although the use of detergent and hot water will remove the stains left by the mold this does not get rid of the mold spores. You should use a bleach solution consisting of 4 parts water and 1 part bleach. Under no circumstances use bleach with other cleaners, this will created a toxic poisonous gas.

If any carpet and padding are infected with mold, discard and use the bleach solution on the floor, as this product is essential for appropriate black mold removal. If your floor is wood you will want to sand and refinish the floor. If your mold problem is severe you may want to use biocides available at your local hardware or home improvement stores. These biocides are considered pesticides and it is imperative that all product instructions a followed.

Any rags, towels, or brushes used in the removal of mold should be put in a plastic bag and discarded as soon as the job is done. Any clothes worn during mold removal should be hung outside in the sun to air dry followed by washing with laundry detergent and bleach. If the mold spores are throughout the house or in areas inaccessible you may want to consult a professional to handle the mold removal from your home.

Related Posts:

Leave a Reply